Thursday, October 22, 2009

Top 5 Villains

I started this post with the intent to make a list of what I thought were the top 5 most iconic villains in film.  Yeah, that didn't turn out well.  Turns out the American Film Institute made a list of the 50 greatest villains rather than 5, and it still leaves out some of my favorites.  Not to mention it was created before The Dark Knight came out.
What's a guy to do?  Change the criteria is the most obvious answer, so that's what I'll do.  There's iconic villains, and then there's my favorite villains.  The Wicked Witch of the West is an obvious inclusion on the first while someone like The Underminer might only make it to the second, and it takes someone (or thing) special to straddle both.

Top 5 Favorite Movie Villains
The Joker (The Dark Knight)
Cruella DeVil (101 Dalmations)
Kaizer Soze (The Usual Suspects)
Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
Darth Vader (Star Wars)

Honorable Mention to Mr. Jones (Fringe) who is bumped off the list because he comes from TV rather than a movie.

I'd be happy to talk about my choices more if anyone has questions, but I think this should be pretty self explanatory.  I love twist endings, apparently.  Also Cruella is a scary bitch.  Let me know who I'm forgetting or if there's another Disney villain I should give Curella's spot to.  For reference, here's the basic list of contenders I whipped up before compiling the above 5:

Inglourious Basterds Nazi dude
Hannible Lector (Silence of the Lambs)
Mr. Jones (Fringe)
The Joker (The Dark Knight)
Wicked Witch of the West
Darth Vader (Star Wars)
Voldemort (Harry Potter)
Tyler Durden (Fight Club)
Agent Smith (The Matrix)
Bill (Kill Bill)
Hans Gruber (Die Hard)
Dr. No (Dr. No)
HAL 9000
Jack Torrance
Cruella DeVil
Kaizer Soze (The Usual Suspects)

4 comments:

  1. dude. Maleficent. best Disney villain.


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maleficent

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's pretty badass, don't get me wrong, but Cruella was one that freaked me out as a kid whereas I never saw Sleeping Beauty until that one time at your house. Childhood scars > classicness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Hannibal man.. Hannible sounds like an adjective thought up by Dr. Seuss

    ReplyDelete