Sunday, December 20, 2009

Movie Trailers #8

The Sorcerer's Apprentice



Cool effects?  Check?
Modern setting fantasy?  Check.
More cool effects?  Check?
Anyone starring except Nicolas Cage?  Ch...god damnit, this movie almost looked like a fun action flick.  I was all ready to maybe get a decent plot out of it but be content with just a fun setting, then they go and ruin it by casting Nicolas Cage.  I don't know, maybe if the guy had more than one tone of voice I'd respect him.  And it's not like everything he touches turns to dust; he's like Jim Carrey - capably of putting out the occasional great movie (Adaptation, The Weatherman, Matchstick Men, or in Carrey's case Eternal Sunshine), but usually annoying as hell.  With Cage, action movies are probably going to go the National Treasure route instead of the quality route.  I guess I liked seeing National Treasure with my family on Thanksgiving, though, so there may be a place for this movie, too.

Greenberg



I feel like I'll be a bit young to truly appreciate this movie.  I've repeatedly seen "shit, I'm getting old" movies done well, and I repeatedly like them, and I repeatedly feel left out of the loop.  Probably because, you know, I'm 19.  Still, as I said, they're often good.  Melancholy comedies are pretty much my bread and butter of favorite movies, I almost always like Ben Stiller, etc.  It'll be nice to see him as something other than this




or this


It sometimes seems like the guy only has two characters.  And I wouldn't like him so much if I didn't like those characters, but I know he's capable of more.  Or at least, that was my impression.  Maybe I'm wrong - I can't remember the last thing I saw him in where he wasn't either a nut-job or a bumbling romantic comedy lead.

Point is, I wah see Greenberg.

I guess that's all I've got for now; I wrote most of this a couple of days ago and haven't found any more trailers I care about in the mean time.  Bad romance / rom-coms are about it.  Next time let's check out the Christmas season movie options.

No comments:

Post a Comment