Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Movie Trailers #2

Once more with feeling!

Before we get started, I note that Hulu has a trailer for New York, I Love You, an obvious sequel to Paris, Je t'aime. I'd talk about the trailer, but I haven't seen the french film despite its repeated suggestion to me. To the "movies I need to see" list!

A Serious Man



New Coen Brothers! This movie was filmed partially at the old St. Olaf science building across town from me. I kept saying I was going to go over and try and be an extra, but no one told me when they were actually in town and I missed it. Lame. I know a girl who got called back for a part in this film, too. Yeah. How's that for a stretched connection.

Oh man does this movie look bleak. The premise seems to be "Jewish man in horribly bleak 60s small town / at small town liberal arts college". I'm sure the Coen Brothers will succeed in making me feel like my entire existence is boring, depressing, and pointless. I'll walk out of the theater thanking them for showing me this, but I'll be depressed at the same time. That head slamming into the wall pulse through the trailer is almost intolerable, which is the point. Life is like slamming your head into a wall over and over again. Ugh. Is there anything less depressing out there?

Adam



The story I want to tell about this preview would be in bad taste now that I've posted a link to this blog on facebook. Such a shame. Suffice to say that this movie looks okay. Nothing about this movie appeals to me more than other romantic comedies. Watching someone be awkward because of Asperger's Syndrome is not something I feel compelled to do. I don't have faith in this movie to show an above average representation of the condition, so I don't feel like I can learn anything from it in that regard. From there it becomes a totally average romantic comedy where the thing keeping our romantic leads apart is social awkwardness. Then the whole time I'm watching it I'll have a voice in the back of my head telling me that I'm going to walk out of the theater thinking I'm now an expert on Asperger's, and that I'm going to end up making a fool of myself some day when I meet someone who has it. I'd rather watch Hugh Grant learn how to love and leave the theater feeling good about myself than watch the struggles of these characters and leave the theater feeling guilty.

Brothers



I hate movies like this. Specifically, I hate movies with no sense of humor. Pure drama just can't hold me if I'm not having any fun. I don't watch movies for a brutal, relentless experience, I watch them because either I want to be entertained or I want to be entertained while thinking about a particular part of life. I know that war is horrible and that it does horrible things to the people that survive it. I know that I should be considerate to such people, and if I knew what I could easily do to help veterans I would help them. What I don't want is to watch a family get torn apart by war. That just isn't my idea of a good afternoon. I'd rather spend two hours thinking about how to help vets than to watch a movie about how shitty it is to be one.

At least it has Natalie Portman in it.

Hot Tub Time Machine

Really? Really? Do I even need to watch this trailer? I mean, I guess for posterity's sake I should before talking about it, but... really?



Is that a movie with John Cusack, Rob Corddry, that black guy from all the Judd Apatow movies, and some nerdy dude all in the same scene? If you told me those four guys were the stars I'd be there in a heart beat. But even three actors I love will have a tough time saving a movie called Hot Tub Time Machine.

...

Really? It's called Hot Tub Time Machine?

...

I might have to go to this one.

The Invention of Lying



Nothing beats a romantic comedy with a likable gimmick. The script looks good, I love the lead, and it's a premise with... well, hopefully they can milk 90 minutes out of it. I know I'll like it for the first 15, if nothing else. I'll need an excuse to go see it, though. Maybe I can find some sappy bros to go with. I've always secretly wanted a girlfriend who insists on going to see all sorts of bad romantic comedies so I have a reason to see them. This one doesn't look bad, though, so I'm sure I can sucker someone into coming along.

There's still a few more trailers left that I like the look of, but I think five is a good stopping point. Next time I'll have to check out Alice in Wonderland. All I know right now is that Johnny Depp's mad hatter poster scares the crap out of me. I had to look at it for like an hour waiting to get into the midnight release of Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, and the whole time I felt completely unnerved. Had to avert my eyes.

6 comments:

  1. Hot Tub Time Machine is TOTALLY a you, me, Paul movie. Totally.
    Also it's nice to see some critique of movies / trailers. Too often endeavors like this end up being OMG LET'S TALK ABOUT HOW AWESOME THINGS I LOVE ARE, without looking at things that aren't so good. And that can just be exhausting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Psh, you know that I talk too much about movies, and I love bashing bad stuff. This is no exception.

    Also, I need some help with a graphic design thing with this blog. Specifically, making the text part of the blog large enough to fit the Hulu clips into it is apparently hard for Blogger. I'm here-by recruiting you next week when I'm back from Indiana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay. I don't know much about this format of blog, but from what I understand it's pretty mutable. I'm sure I can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOLY SHIT SAM

    This is what I think:

    You are the shit for starting a blog, and I was JUST wishing that more friends had blogs and now there we are.

    Also you are funny and, according to this post, share my exact feelings about everything having to do with film and things I like about them.

    So.

    I guess this is how I'll be finding films to see from now on.


    Also, I expect to see SOMETHING on Taking Woodstock, and it better be a nice thing. Or at least a last-minute "BUT MADELYN MIGHT LIKE IT" at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the encouraging words! And as for something on Taking Woodstock,

    IT SHALL BE DONE

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is cool, Sam. Let's start talking about moo-vees!

    [The stuff below should go after your Top 5 Comedies post, but I can't get copy and paste to work with this silly website, and I already wrote it here.]

    The question about what should count as a comedy is interesting. I laughed an embarrassing amount when I saw Anchorman and Naked Gun, but when I think "great comedy" I don't think of those--I think High Fidelity, Tootsie, The Graduate, and The Apartment, even though they all have some seriously not-funny parts.

    So I'd add Tootsie, The Graduate, and especially The Apartment somewhere on these lists. (They do have some funny parts. Bill Murray in Tootsie, especially.)

    ReplyDelete